Saturday, January 16, 2016

Making Scraps and Combining: Checkerboard Denim Pillow a Reality Now

Update: I finished the pillow on the second version of the block (in denim), the photo is below.  Used the zipper directions from the Moda Bake Shop Site.

 Like all of you, I've been seeing posts about using scraps, not buying fabric, finishing projects starting new projects. This year I'm noticing and determined to increase my sewing time, so I'm making links to these sites!

Here is my hanging scrap collection:
The fabric bits are arranged roughly by color, all ironed and ready to be pulled and used.

But that's not what struck my fancy.  Instead it was my collection of old jeans!

I've never cut into an old piece of clothing, it was easy once I made the cut.  The fabric sort of told me where to cut the strips to make a second checkerboard block for the Play with me Challenge.  I had a set of new jean needles all ready to insert in the machine, but the regular old needle I had in it was working so saved the special needles for later.

Originally I was thinking of turning this into a placemat.  What fun it would be to have them on the table for dinners for our game nights!  But even with out the sashing/borders this would be too large for our kitchen table... (although it does go well with the denim covered seat cushions that I made with an old duvet cover that was way too heavy to sleep under!)



So now I decided to change this into a pillow cover for my first ever sofa pillow!

Tomorrow I go to a sewing session and will get help I hope with deciding which jean fabric to use the the final border and for putting a zipper in the back! 

Update:
Here is the pillow!  Decided to use the same jean material for the borders and the back.
I'm very happy with the results, gave it to my husband!
Play With Me Checkers Pillow Front
Play With Me Checkers Pillow Back





I already posted a different post to these link parties, but I'm participating in these too!

14 comments:

  1. I never thought about hanging my scraps from hangers! What a good idea. I like the denim checkerboard and think it will make a great, very durable pillow cover. There's something about denim blue that just goes with everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The hangers seem to work - I haven't had to re-iron when I take most of the scraps down to use. I like denim too. Seems a universal color to me too!

      Delete
  2. That checkerboard is going to make a great pillow. Thanks for sharing this clever idea with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your checkerboard with make a great pillow. I love using old denim and find it surprisingly easy to sew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pillow now! I really like! Will look nice on the sofa with the other Play With Me pillow I plan to make.

      Delete
  4. If game night included chess or draughts/checkers then this would be ideal. But a cusghion/pillow works too! Thanks for linking up to #scraptastictuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by and helping be linked up! The pillow looks great. Very happy with how it turned out.

      Delete
  5. Your checkerboard looks great in denim! Is that for the game quiltalong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, it's the first block in the Play With Me Quilt Along @ http://alidatweloqdesigns.blogspot.com/p/play-with-me-qal.html Her directions were really clear. Will be nice to finally have some sofa pillows with this theme.

      Delete
  6. Hey, that made a cool pillow! I'm thinking kids would love playing checkers on it with felt pieces. Looks great even without a game going. :) Thanks for linking at Boms Away - I hadn't seen this QAL yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could share something that was new to you! Next week she will be sharing ideas for game pieces too. Great to have a place to share, glad I found BOMS Away linkie!

      Delete
  7. Awesome pillow, and thanks for linking it up to Building Blocks Tuesday...but I have a question: are the white squares made with white denim or some other material? I am merely curious. I'm imagining that it is made from something else giving it a unique texture??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Jen! Thanks for coming by. The lighter square fabric was in a pair of beige pants. I thought they were denim too but when you wrote looked closer and see the threads look more consistent than the denim, so guess they are some sort of canvas. Both materials are sort of light weight so I am not needing to use special needles when I sew with them. I read after I made the pillow that some denim unravels so might go back and touch the seams with some glue or maybe will zigzag what I can so the project lasts a while!

      Delete

Feedback is welcome!